Energy Efficiency

Energy Performance

Building Compliance Testing Limited can provide Residential EPC’s. EPC stands for Energy Performance Certificate. Residential or Domestic EPCs were introduced by the European Union (EU) initiative (Directive
2002/92/EC – EPBD) to help improve energy efficiency across all the member states. A Residential EPC is mandatory for residential properties when being sold or let.


green tick BCT Energy Performance Certificates

An Energy Performance Certificate EPC measures the energy efficiency of a property on a scale of A-G. Energy Performance Certificates were introduced in England and Wales in 2007 and are a legal requirement for a building to be sold, let or constructed. Once obtained, an EPC is valid for 10 years.

The Certificate also tells you, on a scale of A-G, about the impact the home has on the environment.

Better-rated homes should have less impact through Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions. The average property in the UK is in bands D-E for both ratings. The Certificate includes recommendations on ways to improve the home’s energy efficiency to save you money and help the environment.

A Residential EPC rating will depend on:

– The amount of energy used per m²

– The level of carbon dioxide emissions (given in tonnes per year)

When the Residential EPC is lodged, a RRN number will be created, which is located on the top right hand side of the certificate. The certificate can be searched for independently by any prospective buyer or occupier on the non-domestic registry website (

If you are unsure whether your Property requires a Residential EPC, our energy assessors can review your case providing advice.

green tick BCT When Selling Your Property

The government passed legislation that states anyone wishing to sell their property must have ordered or possess an EPC when the property goes on the market. Your estate agent is required to upload this EPC within 28 days of the sale’s commencement date. There is currently no minimum EPC rating required for the sale of a property, unike if you intend to rent the property. An EPC is required for the transaction to be completed when selling – therefore this includes transferring a property from a pension fund or passing property to your relatives etc. 

green tick BCT When Renting Your Property

If you wish to rent or lease your property you, as the landlord, must ensure that an EPC is available for any potential tenant to look at. As of April 2018, it is unlawful to let a property in the UK with an EPC rating below an ‘E’ (unless an appropriate exemption is registered). Where the landlord has failed to comply with the Compliance Notice this could lead to a fine up to £2,000 and/or a Publication Penalty. The legislation, Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) can have a major impact on your property portfolio, so feel free to call the team to discuss this in further detail.

Other Services

We can also offer a variety of other specialist services through our Partners, including:

– PAS2035 Retrofit Assessments

– Heat Pump Feasibility Assessments

– Property Photography and Floor Plans

– Thermal Imaging

– Heat Loss Surveys

green tick BCT Energy Performance Certificate Frequently Asked Questions

Questions? We’ve Got Answers!

Find below a list of common frequently asked questions about EPC’s.

What happens when I book an EPC?

As soon as you speak to a member of our friendly team and book your appointment, you will receive an
order confirmation along with a preparing for your assessment document (if your email is not received
please check your spam or junk folder). Once the Energy Assessor has visited the property you will have your
report completed normally within 24 hours of the property being assessed. You will be emailed when your
EPC is ready for download (again please check your spam folder) and a copy will also be placed on the
governments EPC Register.

How is an EPC inspection carried out?

To conduct a standard residential EPC we must attend the property in question – they cannot be done remotely.  The EPC assessor will have to access all rooms – and the loft if possible. You won’t be expected to lift any floorboards or carpets though; it’s designed to be a brief, non-intrusive assessment of your home and completed in under 30 minutes. Therefore, if you have any measures that we will not be able to see whilst at the property, such as: Suspended Floor Insulation, Wall (Cavity or External) Insulation, Loft Insulation or otherwise – We will require evidence of these for them to be included in our assessment. If the evidence is not provided, the software will make assumptions based on the age and construction of the property, which is estimated whilst on site. The assessor will need to take plenty of photos for the data submission and also measurements for the rooms – though this does not equate to a marketing floorplan (these can be ordered separately).

To order your EPC inspection, you can complete the form on our contact page or phone us on 01621 493 594, providing us with contact, property and payment details. We will then send you a confirmation email and text messages (when applicable) with a receipt and tracking link. Our local assessor will then contact you the following working day to make an appointment to visit your property within 3 days of their telephone call. The EPC will then be issued and emailed to you the next working day.

How do I prepare for the Domestic Energy Assessment (EPC inspection)?

The assessor will need know about how your home has been built. Finding supporting information before the assessor visits will ensure you get the most accurate rating for your property.

The assessor will want to know:
• when the property was built (searches or deeds may provide evidence)
• whether or not your property has been extended and when
• if it has been double glazed, any certificates that may be available
• whether the walls have been insulated and if so whether this is cavity, internal or external insulation
• boilers and hot water cylinders – when these were installed and any manuals you may have
• location of room thermostats and heating timers
• location of gas and electricity meters
• the type of heating fuel you use and the types of heating you use for your rooms.

After the visit, the assessor will feed the information gathered during the assessment into an authorised software programme which will produce your EPC and recommendation report. Information collected about your property is protected from disclosure without your permission other than for strictly limited purposes.

Each improvement in the recommendation report is accompanied by the typical cost savings per year as well as what the performance rating could be after improvements are made.

What sort of recommendations will be made and what do they mean?

The recommendation report includes cost-effective recommendations split into low cost improvements (up to £500) and high cost improvements (over £500).

It also includes more advanced energy improvements that could be applied to a home to achieve the highest possible energy efficiency standards. Many of these will be more costly and have a much longer payback period.

For a more detailed analysis and tailored recommendations it might worth asking the assessor about a Retrofit Assessment.

Do I have to act on the recommendations?

So long as a private rented property meets the minimum energy efficiency standard (MEES) of and E, C for social housing, there is no legal requirement to act on any of the recommendations.

The recommendations are for you (and your prospective tenant).  However, taking action on the recommendations is likely to improve the energy efficiency of your property and make it more attractive to prospective tenants and/or buyers.

Financial assistance may be available to help with the cost of works.

I already have a lot of data about my properties, can this be used?

If you hold extensive and up-to-date data about the energy efficiency performance of your properties, it may be possible for the assessor to use this data.

It is advised you have an initial conversation with the assessor prior the domestic energy assessment to ensure evidence is adequate and compliant for it to be included within the modelling.

I have a number of similar properties, do all of them need to be visited to produce an EPC?

If you have a number of properties that are similar, it may be possible to produce EPCs for them all by assessing a sample however only on confirmation from the accreditation scheme.

What happens if I am dissatisfied with a domestic energy assessment or EPC?

If you are concerned about any aspect of the energy assessment or the quality or accuracy of the EPC you should initially contact the Energy Assessor. If you are still concerned you should contact the accreditation body of your Energy Assessor. You can find contact details of the Energy Assessor and their accreditation scheme on your EPC.

What are the penalties if I do not have an EPC?

The provision of EPCs is enforced by the Trading Standards department of the local authority. If they receive a complaint that an EPC has not been provided they can impose a penalty charge on you for each breach.

What finanical assistance is available for improvement works?

Most energy suppliers in the UK are part of what’s known as the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme, meaning they’re required to help improve households’ energy efficiency through boiler grants and insulation measures, such as for cavity walls and lofts. £1,000s of grants are up for grabs, but it’s only available to people who get certain benefits.

Also as part of the scheme, if you live in a property that’s heated by electricity, and you’re in receipt of benefits, you might be eligible to replace your old electric heaters and radiators with new, energy efficient electric storage heaters for free.

If you live in England or Wales and want to replace your existing gas, oil or electric boiler with a heat pump or biomass boiler, you could get £7,500 towards the cost of doing so.

You should be eligible providing you own the property, though some may need to install insulation before any work is completed on your heating system in order to be eligible (your installer will tell you if you need it).

You don’t need to apply to get the scheme, your chosen installer will apply on your behalf – though make sure you choose an installer certified by the Microgeneration Certification Service (MCS).

In Scotland, there’s a similar scheme, enabling homeowners to apply for a grant of  £7,500 (or up to £9,000 for those living in rural and island homes) to install a heat pump, as well as the option to borrow an interest-free loan for extra funding needed. Find out more from Home Energy Scotland.

If you’re off the main gas grid, on low income and have an energy performance certificate (EPC) rating from D to G, you might be eligible for a home upgrade grant (HUG). This could include energy efficiency measures such as wall, loft and underfloor insulation, installation of heat pumps, solar panels, double glazing, low energy lighting and electric storage heaters.

It’s only available to certain postcodes in England, and you need to apply through your local council. Contact your local authority to see if you’re eligible and find what’s available in your area.

  Have a project in mind?
      Let’s get to work.

Building Compliance Testing TransparentBuilding Compliance Testing empowers the built environment sector to deliver projects that go beyond environmental planning and building regulation compliance.

From concept to completion, we provide all your compliance needs under one roof.

Build. Comply.

Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions


Contact Us 

Office Address
26 Wantz Road, Maldon Essex CM9 5DE

Call Us 24/7
01621 493594

Email Us

Follow Us